Our in-house team of veterinarians ensures that animal welfare is paramount and is fully committed to the principles of the 3Rs (replacement, reduction, refinement). Our ethical review process ensures that studies are performed with a sound scientific foundation, using the minimum appropriate number of animals, and operating in strict accordance with EU regulations.
We designed our state-of-the-art nonhuman primate (NHP) unit after consulting with professionals from within the CRO industry and receiving their advice based on long experience with NHPs. Extensive training of our study directors and animal technicians then followed.
Therefore, we are now in a position to provide a second alternative nonrodent species for studies where dog is not deemed appropriate (receptor binding information, metabolism differences or lack of systemic exposure relative to expected human therapeutic exposure, etc.).
Our NHP facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art gang housing exceeding the standard welfare regulations:
- Adjacent caging mechanism allows animal capture and observation
- Environmental enrichment including foraging, toys, swimming pool, TV and swings
- Positive reinforcement used (dosing and procedures)
- PK studies unit (20-animal capacity)
- Toxicology studies unit (40-animal capacity)
- European Union Directive 2010-63- EU on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes (translated into Spanish national law RD 53/2013)
- Guidance on nonclinical safety studies for the conduct of human clinical trials and marketing authorization for pharmaceuticals, ICH M3(R2), June 2009
- Preclinical safety evaluation of biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals, ICH S6(R1), June 2011
Our team and experience
Before conducting any project, the use of NHP for each study is approved by Vivotecnia’s animal ethics committee, whose members are highly trained and skilled to collaborate with you in improving study design to fulfill animal welfare requirements.
Our study directors, technical staff, and in-house veterinarians have accumulated many years of practical experience and skills in NHP medicine, caregiving, monitoring and procedures. Vivotecnia integrates these first-rate skills with state-of-the-art facilities to provide a solid base for ensuring NHP cooperation with procedures, thereby reducing animal stress and improving animal welfare. We do this not only for ethical reasons but also with the aim of providing you with reliable and predictive models for safety and efficacy testing.
You may also be interested in…
PK/PD and Metabolism
During the drug discovery process, ADME (absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion) and PK studies are deemed necessary to evaluate bioavailability…
Inhalation toxicity studies are required to assess the exposure hazards of consumer products or to manufacturing workers
Our team of experienced, highly-educated scientists, experts in toxicology, molecular biology, chemistry and immunology, fully understands that the drug development process is distinct for each approach
Safety pharmacology satisfies a key requirement in the drug development process, assessing any potential adverse effects that drug candidates may have on the body’s major physiological systems